Protecting our Environment
The McGowan Labor Government is investing in the protection and enhancement of cultural and environmental values, while creating new recreational opportunities in conservation areas.
Key environmental commitments are funded as part of the 2017-18 State Budget.
- $900,000 for community groups to carry out restoration works along the Swan and Canning Rivers.
- $8 million in 2017-18 to develop infrastructure, including a Living Knowledge Centre at Murujuga National Park on the Burrup Peninsula.
- $1 million will go towards the establishment of a park and reserve network encompassing the fringing coral reefs of the Buccaneer Archipelago, to protect the region’s outstanding natural and cultural values.
- $3 million will be invested to develop Lake Kepwari, near Collie, as a tourism precinct with a focus on water skiing, wakeboarding and jet skiing. The project will include construction of boating infrastructure, public facilities and road access to encourage future private tourism investment.
- A further $200,000 is being invested in the Wellington Dam walk trails, which will link up with the Bibbulmun Track.
- Work is also underway to implement the Container Deposit Scheme in early 2019, with $1.68 million allocated over three years towards the scheme.